Needless to say, the conference came with less-than-perfect timing.
And then I asked around to some blog friends, and it turned out no one I really knew was going (besides Natalie - but I didn't get a chance to see her!). so I waffled. and hemmed and hawed. Drove E crazy debating about the pros and cons of going and possibly being disappointed or too stressed to enjoy it.
But I went. Saturday morning I hopped in the car and drove the 35 minutes down to the San Diego Convention Center. I took a deep breath and prepared to be overwhelmed. Prepared to be brave and to step out of my comfort zone. To learn, connect, and commune.
I was told BlogHer conferences are what you make of them.
I made my experience my own. And I'm so glad I did.
1. Saw Wendy McClendon-Covey. It took me a while to figure out how I knew her - from Reno 911! Also caught a glimpse of Giuliana Rancic.
2. Got to have lunch with Kath of KERF fame. It was nice to finally meet her - she really is a blogging rockstar! Right after we left she got her lunchtime post up with a photo of her, myself & Kristin of Iowa Girl Eats.
photo by Kath
3. Attended a great session on pitching freelance editorial work. Journalism is still a passion that's sitting on my mind's back burner so it was really good to hear from the pros what they're looking for in a freelance writer.
4. Got loaded up with swag. Seriously -the vendor hall was crazy! I told the ladies at the Skinny Cow booth that I was local and they loaded me up with four boxes of bars to take home.
I picked up a lot of great samples to test and try - Quaker Oats loaded me up as well.
5. Here's a crazy cooincidence (or is it sneaky?...hmmm) Someone I met asked me if I was here as a vendor, and directed me to the back page of the BlogHer brochure. Can you see something looking a little...familiar?
Tropicana was offering free manicures (polish changes)in their lounge. I had good timing and got a little refresher on my [formerly] terrible-looking nails
Latte Love? Turns out that the Got Milk folks are running a new campaign recommending lattes as a way to get servings of milk in. I stopped by the booth to say hello, show them my business card, and ended up recording a video to enter a contest to be flown to New York to unveil the next Got Milk celebrity. I got this gorgeous milk measuring set, and a mug for my participation.
6. I was so distracted by trying to see everything in the half day I was there, I hardly took any pictures! Here's a glimpse of the Seal Pavillion where the meals took place.
7. I put these business cards together on Friday and printed them off on business card template cardstock Saturday morning. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out - although doing something a little more put together may be in order. (and I'm having second thoughts about including my phone # so I blurred it out here.)
Did you notice my new url? I just made the jump on Friday - and I'm so excited!
Blogher 2011 gave me a great glimpse into the powerhouse that is this women's blogging conference and I definitely have the bug to have the full experience next time! It felt like a rite of passage.
Have you been to a blogging conference? Would you consider going?