Last weekend I decided to start reworking my bio and create an About Me page. (I'm sure many of you are way ahead of me!)
Anyway, I quickly realized it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, so I decided to do some research before jumping in.
I came across a really helpful post at BlogHer, which gave me a kick-start.
Then I started skimming the bio sections blogs I admire, and enjoy.
Here are a few:
I'm still working on mine, but I wanted to share what I learned to encourage you to write or re-work your bio/About Me pages!
What I'm taking away from my research:
1. Be concise. If a visitor is stopping by for the first time they may not want to read a novel--they just want to figure out who you are and what your blog is about. If you want, have a short bio on the front page and link to a longer bio for curious folks.
2. Be able to define your blog and audience, and share it in a clear way. I write about a few primary topics so I will share those things in my bio.
3. Be genuine, winsome, (& witty if it works)--but most of all, be yourself! a bio page that doesn't sound like you/your blog, doesn't work.
4. An extended "About me" page should include a photo or two, and links to some favorite or popular posts that describe what you and your blog are about. Also, any features, awards or recognitions you'd received as a blogger.
5. Provide a way for readers to contact you! Whether its in your bio or elsewhere on the blog, have an email address or contact form available.
Hope that helps some of you! I'll be working with the amazingly talented Joy of How Joyful Designs (who designed my blog) to make some of these changes over the next few weeks.
Do you have any other thoughts or advice (something you like to read in bloggers' bios?) Is it time for you to rework yours?